Sunday 11 March 2018

This cold has been endless. It got significantly worse last Sunday night when I woke up at 2am with a fever. It was low grade but I was so uncomfortable and shaking so much. Isaiah piled all the blankets on me until my feet were warm but the rest of my body felt like an ice block. He kept promising that I was actually quite warm to touch and turning the heat up to 80 degrees still wasn't going to help.

My only fever experience has been with chemotherapy so of course I was panicking. I thought for sure I had the flu so then I started spiralling with "I could die from this. Wouldn't that be unfortunate? I don't want to die from the stupid flu. Tell my family I love them!"

Isaiah told me I was being ridiculous and to take some Tylenol. I would have gone to the emergency department if it weren't a 20 minute drive away. After the Tylenol kicked in, I stopped shaking and managed to get a bit of restless sleep. In the morning I called my CF team who prescribe me two antibiotics and weren't that concerned.

The fever really knocked me out for almost two days. I spent Monday sleeping and then Tuesday trying to get some energy back. I think in the end, I overdid it last weekend when I thought I was finally over this cold and had maybe exercised a bit too hard.

I'm still nervous it's going to happen again but this time my cough does feel almost gone. The antibiotics have kicked in so I am more tired because of that but overall, I feel an improvement.

It's weeks like this where I'm thankful that I only work one day a week. A lot of people ask when I'm going to move to more hours but I'm quite happy where I am. The truth is, I will probably never be able to have a full time, or even a true part time job. Even when I'm not sick, I need to be able to spend days relaxing when I'm not feeling 100%. I also need to spend a lot of time exercising so that I can keep these lungs healthy for as long as possible.

The upside of this cold is that I've been staying inside and working on some craft projects. I've been practicing my calligraphy, finished knitting a hat for Isaiah, and made myself a prototype apron! I bought fabric in Hawaii to make an apron but thought I should make a trial one first with fabric I care less about.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that apron!!

harroundot@hotmail.com said...

The apron is lovely. Hope your cold is on the way out.