Sunday 18 February 2018

Camp Koru

I'm going back to Maui the end of April!! Woohoo! I heard from the cancer camp this week and then immediately booked my ticket. 

After a bit of delay from the the camp doctor who wanted to check in with my respirologist about me traveling post-lung transplant, I got the acceptance email this week! I guess the follow up was fair, it's probably not something the doctor gets a lot on the application forms so wanted a second opinion. My doctor was fine with it, she just wants me to take antibiotics with me which I should be doing when I travel anyway.

This time I'm going without Isaiah (No family allowed! Even if they had cancer too!) and to hang out with a bunch of other young adults who also had cancer. And to suppose to learn how to surf!

The purpose of Camp Koru is:

"...a camp to help cancer survivors diagnosed between 18-39 to find healing and renewal through outdoor experiences in the ocean and mountains." I'm doing the "ocean" part with their surf & standup paddling camp. 

It's a total hippie camp where everyone has a "power name" which is:

  • Your power name can’t be any form of your real name (first or last)
  • Your power name can’t be anything you’ve ever had or been called before
  • Think of something that is less of a nickname, and more of a POWER name.
It's probably a way to get people to let go of their past and just be in the present with a powerful name! I have enough trouble with real names and faces that having to learn a bunch of words in Hawaiian that mean various things like "strong" and "river" (I'm just assuming this will be what people choose) is going to be hard. Or maybe it'll be easier. I do need to come up with something that I can recognize when someone is trying to engage me in conversation. It would be bad to forget your power name. 

The camp is all-inclusive and free (minus the flight) which is the other great part and mostly why I decided I should go. Adventure camps seem to be a popular thing post-cancer in the States. I guess it's part of the recreation therapy philosophy which is that meaningful and enjoyable activity will help with emotional and physical recovery. No complaints from me! 

Here is more information about the camp if you're interested or know someone else who might be interested.

https://www.projectkoru.org/faq/




1 comment:

LittleM said...

Maybe there's a hawaiian word that rhymes with Ally or Allison. But hopefully it doesn't mean like 'buttcrack'