Monday 31 October 2016

Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween!! Hope everyone has a safe and spooktacular time! I'm in Halifax for a few days so I'll be spending the night handing out candy at a friends house. Or maybe just eating candy instead. I have a bone density scan tomorrow so figured I would come up for a few days rather than drive 4 hours for a 10 minute appointment on Tuesday.

Bone density scans are routinely done on everyone with CF every 3-5 years but post-transplant, it becomes a yearly event. On top of the problems absorbing calcium and nutrients from food, the steroids and anti-rejection medication are really hard on the bones. So it's important to check density levels consistently.

I already take a medication to strengthen my bones/prevent osteoporosis as a scan many years ago showed I had some 'osteopenia' (basically borderline osteoporosis) in my lower back. The pill is weekly so I use to always forget to take it. I remember now as I put it in my pill sorter but it's suppose to be taken a half hour before food and I never really follow that as I get hungry. So I'm not really sure if it's working but I wasn't told last year that my bones were getting worse so maybe it's doing something. I'm hoping that since I've been pretty consistent with doing weight exercises, that'll be good for my bones as well. Seeing as how clumsy I am, I really don't want my bones to break easily.
<My pumpkin! 

No comments: