Friday 25 April 2014

National Organ and Tissue Donor Awareness Week!

It's National Organ and Tissue Donor Awareness week! Well I guess it's almost over now.

I honestly didn't know that was a thing until last week as I tend to ignore all the 'weeks' or 'months' for all the organizations out there. However, now I'm a full supporter! But I really think they need to call it the 'Sign Up to be a Organ Donor' week and force everyone to sign up to be an organ donor.

I really don't understand how each province hasn't moved to a opt-out donor system yet considering the support for organ donation. For the 5% anti-organ donors, I'm sorry to tell you but you'll be dead so stop just thinking of yourself. You will be dead and your lungs can either go into the garbage or to save someones' life. I'm not really sure what you think will happen happens to your body but the morgue doesn't want your lungs. Signing up to be a donor doesn't mean you will get worse care, nor does it mean that you will die tomorrow. Just get over your fear and squeamishness about talking and thinking death and accept that you, like everything, will eventually die. Sign your damn card!

Gah!! End rant.

I was trying to not ramble about the importance of organ donation because if you're reading this blog, I'm sure you already know. I guess I can't help myself.

But since it is Organ Donor Awareness week, I guess I should remind you to double check that you are a donor. Also, be sure to tell your family of your wishes because signing the card doesn't give anyone the authority to make you an organ donor without your next of kin's consent.
After doing that that, start harassing your family, friends, co-workers, and random people to sign their donor cards as well. Thank you everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was in the paper yesterday that Nova Scotia is going to consider doing the European style donor list. Everyone is a donor unless you opt out. I wonder how long it will take them to make a decision!

Allison said...

That is fantastic news! Hopefully it won't take too long.