Sunday 14 January 2018

Cancer check up

My cancer has not returned! My appointment on Thursday was very speedy and the doctor seemed ready to push me to 6 months visits but decided on one more at 4 months just to round out the year. She agreed with a sigh to fill out the camp paperwork for me although it's hard to say when she'll actually get it done. 

I don't think I've talked about the cancer camp before, there are many camps designed for cancer survivors but this one, Camp Koru, is specifically for young adults who have had a cancer diagnosis and are in remission. They offer are surfing/paddle boarding camps in Maui and ski camps in Oregon. 

It's "a camp to help cancer survivors diagnosed between 18-39 to find healing and renewal through outdoor experiences in the ocean and mountains." - quote taken from their website. I've gone back and forth if I am the right person for this camp, I already spend a lot of time outside and I feel as though I've healed emotionally from whatever trauma the cancer caused. Although then I have one slightly lightheaded spell and immediately think the cancer is back and start picturing every possible scenario. So I do think it would be nice to meet some people my own age who have gone through a similar experience. Maybe they can tell me how to get over the fear of a recurrence. And if nothing else, it's a week in Maui learning how to surf! Finger's crossed to getting in!

No comments: